Slough’s Labour Councillors have today launched their manifesto for the 2018 local election along with a full list of candidates who are contesting the election.
Labour’s team reflects the diversity of our great town, with a candidate for every generation with our youngest in her 20s and our oldest nearing 80, and Labour will be represented with a strong candidate across every ward in Slough.
Labour Councillors and candidates were joined at the event, held at Slough Aspire, by the town’s MP Tan Dhesi, who introduced the event and praised the work Slough’s Labour run council has delivered for residents in the face of almost £90 million worth of government cuts.
Our manifesto for 2018 sets out Slough Labour’s agenda to turn Slough into a place of opportunity and ambition for all the town’s residents. Some key pledges include;
- Replacing every property lost in the last year through right-to-buy with a new social home
- Delivering 150 new social and affordable homes
- £18 million to provide more genuinely affordable homes to Slough residents
- £17 million to ensure our current Council homes are of excellent standard
- Keeping every single Children’s Centre open & creating 400 new early years places
- £40 million to improve and expand Slough Schools
- Planting 1 million new bulbs and 200 new trees across Slough
- Introducing a ‘Slough Card’ to give Slough residents priority & cheaper access to SBC services & facilities
- Opening our new flagship leisure facilities and continuing to expand our provision of free facilities such as Green Gyms in our parks
Councillor James Swindlehurst, Leader of Slough Borough Council and its Labour Group said;
Today we set out Labour’s promises for the people of Slough for the year ahead. If re-elected in May Labour councillors will once again deliver an ambitious, transformational agenda for Slough. We have not held back on our aspirations for Slough and it’s because of this ambition, and the work we have done in the Council to invest wisely and drive out efficiencies that we are well placed to push our town forward and create a place of opportunity and ambition for all our residents.We look forward to taking our offer for the year ahead out to residents on the doorstep and listening to their ideas for the town over the next 8 weeks.